A simple App to backup and restore Call Logs, useful when doing a factory reset or installing custom ROMs. The backup is stored by default in /sdcard/CallLogBackupRestore folder.
This App is a must if you need to keep a history of all the calls you’ve made from or received on the phone since Android only keeps a history of the 500 latest calls and any calls older than that are automatically deleted from the phone.
Please report any problems you are having with the App here in the comments section or email me with the details as I cannot respond to problems in the Android Market. My email address is on the market.
- Backup Call Logs / History in XML format.
- Choose a scheduled time to automatically backup everyday.
- Choose the name of the file to backup to.
- Option to add and XSL style sheet to the XML file, so that the file can be opened with a browser for viewing easily. Click here to download a sample XSL Stylesheet for Call Logs. Copy it in the same folder as the Backup XML file and then open the XML file in a browser like Internet Explorer or Firefox.
- Option to add the date in readable format.
- Option to use an “Archive Mode” where the backup data keeps getting added to a single file.
- Backup format is independent of the Android version so the calls can be easily moved from one phone to another, irrespective of which version of Android it has. Tested with 1.5, 1.6, 2.01, 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3.
- Restore Call Logs
- Option to select the backup file to be restored from the folder.
- View Backup Contents from within the App.
- Delete all Call Logs on the Phone.
- Email a backup file.
- Delete existing backup files.
- Option to delete old files automatically after specified number of days.
This app can be downloaded from the Android Market/Play Store, search for it or scan this QR code with a Barcode Scanner app:
The screen has 6 buttons:
- Backup: Backup all the Call logs on the phone to the xml file.
- Restore: Reads the xml file and creates a new Call log for every entry found in the file. Duplicates are checked based on number, duration and date/time of the call.
- View: View the contents of the backup file.
- Delete Backups: Allows selection of backup files to be deleted.
- Delete Calls: Deletes all the Call logs on the phone, so that a Restore can be performed.
- Donate: If you wish to donate for the App via PayPal.
- Help: Help information about the App.
- Preferences: Opens the Preferences Screen.
- Send by Email: Allows you to send the backup file by Email.
- Use Scheduled Backups: If automatic backups should be performed as per the schedule.
- Time of Backup: The time at which the Automatic Scheduled Backup should start.
- Days to Keep Old Backups: When performing automatic backups, backup files older than these
many days will be deleted after the backup is performed. To keep an older file rename
it so that the filename starts with _ (underscore).
- Use Archive Mode: If the backup should be kept in only one file. Any new backups
taken since the last backup would be added to the same file.
- Archive Filename: When using Archive Mode, the name of the backup file.
- Backup Folder: The folder to store the backups in.
- Disable Verification: Disables the verification of the backup file after a backup
- Add Readable Date: Add the date in human readable format.
- Readable Date Format: The format of the date used when adding readable date to the backup file.
- Add XSL Tag: Add Xsl tag to view backup file in browser. Click here to download a sample XSL File. Copy it in the same folder as the Backup XML file and then open the XML file in a browser like Internet Explorer or Firefox.
- Add Contact Names: Add names of the Contacts to the backup.
- Filename Date Format: The format of the date used to generate new file names.
- Disable Vibration: Disables the vibration on completion of an operation.
- Enable Logging: For troubleshooting purposes, logs any errors encountered to the system log.
- Do not show Ads: Removes the Ads displayed in the App.
- I have Donated!: Removes the reminder to donate after a scheduled backup.
Known Problems / Issues:
- If you are running any “Task Killer” app that kills apps on a schedule (like Advanced Task Manager), make sure that you exclude SMS Backup & Restore from it, otherwise the Scheduled Backups may not work properly. This App displays a notification every time it backs up with the details of the backup, make sure you are getting those notifications.
- Android only keeps a log of last 500 calls and the app can only backup the calls which are in those logs. If you have configured the app to automatically delete the backups after a few days then you’ll loose that call history.
- HTC users have reported issue where on restore the names don’t appear on the restored calls. Here’s the suggested work around from them:
- On HTC, export contacts to SD
- Delete all contacts (keep Call history)
- Import contacts from SD
- Finnish – Thanks to Juhana H.
- Russian – Thanks to Pavel (Павел Миронов)
- Spanish – Thanks to Miguel A. Alvarez
- French - Thanks to Julien Benoist
- German – Thanks to Marc Hillesheim & Jan Allan Zischke
- Dutch – Thanks to Kristof Roels
- Portuguese – Thanks to António Silva
- Italian – Thanks to Oliver Thomas Cervera
- Polish – Thanks to MSZ & MR
- Swedish – Thanks to Björn Lindahl
- Estonian – Thanks to Margus Palu
- Simplified Chinese – Thanks to Thomas Wang
- Slovenian – Thanks to TKL
- Welsh – Thanks to Huw Waters
- Czech – Thanks to Jiri Trcka
- Macedonian (Republic of Macedonia – F.Y.R.O.M.) – Thanks to Vlad
- Turkish – Thanks to Hasan Gök
- Hungarian – Thanks to Kojedzinszky Dániel
- Hebrew – Thanks to s_h
- Traditional Chinese – Thanks to Bernie Huang
- Korean – Thanks to HoeLyn Do (도회린)
- Norwegian – Thanks to Dag Jøran Hanssen
- Danish – Thanks to Jeppe Leth Nielsen
- Romanian – Thanks to Gabriel Peca
- Greek – Thanks to Michael and Dimitrios
- Slovak – Thanks to Richard Antal
- Another fix for broken GS II 4.0.4 update.
- Disable Notifications works again.
- Temporarily disabled the HTC Contact Id fix as its not populating contacts properly.
- Backup files and conversation lists can now be sorted.
- Inbuilt browsing for folders.
- Detection of external sd cards.
- Lots of other internal changes.
- Fix for “raw_contact_id” restore error on Samsung phones
- Excluded message logs from backups on Samsung phones as they cannot be restored.
- Fix for Caller names not appearing after restore on HTC phones.
- Fix for backup files not appearing on computer with devices like Galaxy Nexus.
- Fix for voice mail error messages during restore on ICS. Now calls with incorrect call types will be ignored and reported as failed.
- Changed the Ad Network.
- Fixed a problem with the Viewer on phones running older Android versions.
- Added Archive Mode – Keeps adding backups to an existing file.
- Added Viewer for viewing the Backup on the phone.
- Added option to select the date format used when storing Readable Date in the backup.
- Added option to specify the folder for the Backup files.
- Added preference to backup Contact Names as well.
- Added Scheduled Backups (experimental).
- Added Preference screen.
- Fixed rotation bug.
- Lots more
- Added button to facilitate selection of files to be deleted.
- Fix for the wrong month in the auto-generated file name.
- Support for multiple backup files:
- Backup asks to input a file name.
- Restore asks to select a file.
- Added Menu option to send the Backup file by Email.
- Added prompt during restore to confirm if duplicates should be checked.
- Faster restore when not checking for duplicates.
- Backup xml is now properly indented.
- Now does not ask to delete (and does not delete) calls before restore.
- Added warning before overwriting existing backup file.
- Minor bug fixes when writing the file.
- Now Ad supported.